Monday, August 25, 2008

Barn critters

The last of our crop of barn (or old granary) swallows about to leave the nest.


The goats are finally in the new barn, even though the new barn isn't finished yet. I wanted to get them into the weed patch asap, so I had my husband hurry to finish the fencing. In late June I had rented a push-behind bush hog to mow the overgrown patch, anticipating that the goats would be inside within two weeks.

Since this whole project is about two months (and counting) behind schedule, the weeds are now very tall. You can see some of them behind the goats in the picture.The goats have made a start on them, but there is much much more than they can eat. Plus there are plenty of seeds and burs to stick in their coat. Not an ideal situation, but we work with what we have.

Next comes shearing time in September. I'll let you know how that goes...

No comments: