Monday, December 13, 2010

Tonight's dessert


Rosettes!  Yum!  Rosettes are the lone Scandinavian holiday recipe I ever make.  Never done lefse, lutefisk, swedish meatballs, etc.  Out here in western Minnesota, that's almost considered a crime.  But though I am tall and blond, the only Scandinavian blood in me is Danish, and it's only one-eighth of me besides.  Give me a good English roast beef, a hearty German wurst, or a lovely Dutch pastry and you're talking my food language.

After making twenty or so rosettes, I got sick of standing by the stove and just drizzled the remaining batter in the oil, funnel-cake style.  Double Yum!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Kindred spirits!!! I love making Rosettes, I grew up watching my mom and it seems now nobody even knows what they are! I found a tiny shop here that actually sells the iron "molds", about 30 different patterns last time I looked, I was amazed! My mom still uses the same ones she did when I was a little kid :)

Mama Pea said...

Not a drop of Scandihoovian blood in my veins but living up here near the tundra, there is lots of it around. I've never made Rosettes, but also never pass up a chance to eat them. YUM!

Jo said...

Hey Erin -- I bought my molds about twenty years ago at a garage sale, and have about six different molds. I'll have to go online to see what other shapes are available!

Hello Mama Pea -- Yes, there is lots of it around. There are several local churches that serve lutefisk suppers this time of year. Never been tempted to go, strange enough...