Monday, April 9, 2012

Raised beds


We will be using raised beds for the first time in the garden this year. 


This afternoon hubby put together six of them.  We plan on building more, when time allows.  They are made from untreated pine.I'm thinking about whitewashing them, in an effort to have them last longer.  I'm not sure if that would work, though. 

Graham practiced with a hammer and nails while hubby was building the beds. It was a beautiful, albeit windy day for playing and working outside.  Tonight it's forecast to drop down to the low 20's.  I'm kinda glad I haven't planted anything in the garden yet.  I hope my garlic, now eight inches tall, survives the freeze.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Fantastic beds! Something so comforting about looking at all those new beds just waiting for action!

Mama Pea said...

I seem to have missed a couple of your posts. (Don't tell anyone, but I have a feeling I'm falling apart at the seams these days!)

You will love your raised beds. You can plant them so intensively that nary a weed will be able to peek through. Let us know via posts what you end up planting in them.