Friday, October 9, 2009

Picking apples







On Wednesday we went out and picked about two bushels of apples from a friend's orchard. Our newly bought apple picker helped tremendously. Right now a batch is in the dehydrator and another batch is getting ready for the canner. Tomorrow I'll do a vat of applesauce. I'll probably put some unbruised apples in my root cellar just to see how long they will last in storage. And if we have enough left over, maybe we'll try our hand at some cider.

Last winter I accidentally left a half-full jar of applesauce on the counter for a few days and ended up with some pretty potent applejack. Just smelling it brought stars to my brain. Hubby refused to taste it so it ended up in the bin. Fermentation is a strange and wonderful thing.

3 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I have apple envy. We picked up about a bushel of apples off the ground under our trees yesterday that the wind storm two weeks ago tore off the trees. The ones still on the trees look good but are not sufficiently ripened to use . . . and now the snow last night. Not a good year for our apples. Next year, right?

Your son is soooo cute! (Hubby, too.)

Erin said...

Yum! Cute pics of your son!

Jo said...

Thanks Mama Pea and Erin! I think my little boy is cute as well. And my hubby, too. :)