Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Hitchcockian afternoon


The black snake, more like a swarm this time, returned to our house one day last week. When I drove home from work I could see some of them on the roadway by our house. I parked in the driveway and got out of the car. Apparently I disturbed them, for they all rose out of our grove and began flying in waves over our yard.


My husband told me they had been there for awhile, circling the house for over an hour. They would rise and fall from the yard to the sky, to the trees, to the house, to the yard, to the trees, to the sky, over and over and over again.


Finally they flew a little northward to the neighbor's old soybean field. All that black in the picture above is birds, not soil. Now I have a little better understanding of how passenger pigeons, back before they went extinct, could blot out the sun as they flew through the sky, enormous clouds of birds stretched horizon to horizon. I wish I could have seen that. But I'm glad I get to see this.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Great photos! I remember being home alone when I was about 12 and this happening over the cornfield adjacent to our house, and I got scared and called my Grandma, lol!

Mama Pea said...

I don't think I've EVER seen so many birds together. This would totally freak out anyone with a bird phobia . . . what's the word for that?

Ruth Trowbridge said...

Wow what great photos, first time visit from Mr. H's blog, very interesting posts here should keep me busy reading instead of doing dishes, thanks, peace for all

Lucky Lizard Ranch said...

Great pics Jo! That would be a little intimidating to have to drive or walk through! Hitchcock would have loved it! :)

Karen said...

That is soooo cool! Maybe I'll rethink the whole staying in suburbia based just on this pic!! I also have to figure out how to download my digital pics!!

Jo said...

Hello Erin -- Thanks for the comments. The birds really do take your breath away!

Hey Mama Pea! My guess is ... Aviaphobe? Just looked it up -- that's a fear of flying. Close, though.

Hello Ruralrose -- Thanks for your nice words. I like to do anything other than housework, too. It's much more fun to get stuff dirty than to clean it up afterwards.

Hi Liz! Good to hear from you. My hubby wouldn't let the kids play outside while the birds were divebombing the house that afternoon. I wonder if Hitchcock ever lived in the midwest?

Hi Karen! Yes, I think you should rethink the suburbia plan! Absolutely! Western MN is where it's at! (Or, at least where the enormous swarms of black birds are at!)