Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Getaway

We've just come back from a rousing vacation at Wisconsin Dells.  Much fun was had by all, and by all I mean ALL of the family including grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins, sixteen of us living in a lovely condo at the Kalahari Resort.  Thanks Grandma and Grandpa!

We had fun swimming,


climbing,


golfing,


bowling,


and ropes coursing.


Plus a lot of other things that I didn't take pictures of.  Forgot the camera during the horseback riding and thought better of attempting photography while speeding around a go-cart track.

After it was all over, I came home to an overgrown garden filled with too-ripe cracked tomatoes, split cabbages, monster hard zucchinis and five-foot tall weeds.


Showing a remarkable bit of intelligence on my part, I also took the day after the vacation off of work.  It was spent canning tomatoes and running errands.  This batch was done last Saturday, and today I picked another three plastic grocery bags full of ripe maters.  Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?


One of the cabbages that was besieged by bugs early in the season recovered enough to sprout a dozen or so mini-cabbages from its injured head.  I picked these today and cooked them like Brussels sprouts with a deep notch through their base.  They turned out pretty good, except of course the really large ones didn't quite get cooked all the way through.

Tomorrow will also be spent dehydrating garlic for more garlic powder.  The powder I made last year turned out very well, with a much stronger flavor than store-bought garlic powder.  My garlic harvest this year was extremely good and I've got to find something to do with all the extra bulbs.

4 comments:

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Looks like you a great time! Sorry you had to come home to weeds!

That is a great idea to dehydrate the garlic! Can't wait to try that!

Erin said...

Yay for the Dells! A rite of passage for us upper midwesterners, looks like you had a blast! Returning to the garden after vacation is never easy :)

Mama Pea said...

Ya just can never run away from it, can you? Go on vacation and danged if on your return, the garden isn't still there demanding even more attention! The bulk of our company left yesterday and I STILL have not gotten up the courage to venture out into the garden. I'm afraid to see all that has been neglected!

Glad you had a wonderful getaway with family.

Walter Jeffries said...

Ah, cabbage. What we call our winter lettuce. Cabbage, beets, turnips and carrots.