Monday, July 25, 2011

Handful of gold

This is a bad year for jam.  The state shutdown closed my favorite berry-picking spot (the park) for three weeks at the height of the season, eliminating any chance of a black raspberry or mulberry harvest.  Also, I can find no plums on the trees, and I'm not sure why.  We did have an especially wet, late spring this year--perhaps the blossoms never set properly.

So it's just as well that we planted a bunch of golden raspberry bushes in our garden this spring.  This is their first year, so there's not enough to make jam, but there is enough for a few mouthfuls of sweet savor.  I wanted golden raspberries because my husband's grandfather, who was a terrific gardener in his own right, had golden raspberries in his back yard.  I had never heard of them before, and during a visit I distinctly remember going out and picking a few.  They were mighty good.

I have also started a blueberry patch in our side yard.  Five bushes, bought on clearance at our local nursery.  Not much, but I've already eaten a few berries from them.  It's a start.

2 comments:

Mama Pea said...

My hubby tasted some golden raspberries at a raspberry farm several years ago and talked about how good they were. Three years ago, we stopped by that same farm and the lovely owner gave us some canes free of charge to plant in our own raspberry patch. First year, no berries. Last year, a few for tasting. This year . . . ?? Can't tell quite yet but we're looking forward to maybe getting enough to satiate our tastes!

Jo said...

Free raspberry canes, score! What's that lady's name and address again???