Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Belated Boo


Fireman, Jedi knight, wizard.  The fireman and Jedi costumes are reused from years past, and the wizard's costume is home-made.  I stuck true to my guns this year and didn't buy any store-bought costumes.  Nevermind that the fabric I bought for the wizard's robe cost more than any costume I've ever bought.  It's the thought that counts.

That robe was a bear to make.  Did I mention I haven't sewn any clothing since a poorly-made sweatshirt in junior high home-ec class?  The McCalls pattern claimed it could be made in two hours.  I took six.  Much of the time was spent trying to read directions in foreign sewing lingo, ripping out my mistakes, and fighting with that silver cuff/hem edging that was as stiff as cardboard.  At one point my (very old) sewing machine started bunching up tons of thread on the underside of the fabric.  A few panicked moments of rethreading, cleaning, sweating and praying and it began working again.  Disaster averted.

I finally finished at 2 am Friday morning, the day of the school Halloween party.  It turned out well, all things considered, and Owen was very happy with it.  I've gotten a taste of sewing success now, and I'm looking at other projects with tentative interest. Hesitant, almost fearful interest.  This sewing thing can't really be all that difficult, can it? 

3 comments:

Harold Phillips said...

Oh my god... I can't believe you mentioned the sweatshirts we made in home economics! I've done very little clothing construction since then myself :)

Karen said...

I am so very proud of you, sis! You forget, however, about the Christmas runner you made for Mom one year!! The one I covet!!! Congrats on finishing a big project!!!

Jo said...

Howdy Harold -- Yes!! You remember the sweatshirts too! How about the stuffed pillow thing we made? Mine was in the shape of a lightbulb. I think I still have it stored at my parent's house. Hahaha!

Hey Karen -- Thanks big sis! Maybe if you're a good girl, Santa will bring you a runner of your own! Then again, maybe Santa has other sewing plans this year ... :)